Sweet Potato Pie From: Kiss My Grits, Sugar: Southern Humor With a Side of Tasty Fixin’s

2 cups mashed, cooked sweet potatoes
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup evaporated milk
9-inch unbaked pie shell 

Preheat oven to 350º. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla, salt and spices. Mix thoroughly with an electric mixer. Add milk and beat until well blended. Pour filling into pie shell and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Place pie on a rack and cool completely before serving. 


Since I’m a Southern girl through and through, I figured it was high time I got around to writing a book filled with good old Southern recipes. My mouth is watering just thinking about fried chicken, potato salad, banana pudding and pecan pie. This book is chock full of my family’s favorites. And because I’m not the serious type, I like my food served up with some humor on the side. So I tucked in a few tall tales from my childhood about me and my kin to tickle your funny bone. Inside you’ll find 19 humorous short stories about growing up in the South in the 1950s, plus more than 80 recipes for good old-fashioned Southern cooking. Come on in a sit a spell, sugar. Enjoy a chuckle or two, then whip up some of these tasty fixin’s. Size: 6”X9”, 116 pages. Price: $7.95     E-Book: $2.99

Order From Amazon.com 

Visit the “Kiss My Grits, Sugar” Blog for FREE recipes and sample stories